On January 5th 1903 Green Lane School was opened. It had a cookery centre, swimming baths and a laundry. The headmaster was Mr Priestley. His son became a famous author. Soon there were 600 children in the school.
At this time, many people in Bradford had no jobs and were very poor. The children were thin, hungry and sick. Fred Jowett knew that the children wouldn’t be able to learn unless they had enough food, so he persuaded Bradford Council to feed them every day. Green Lane School became the first in the whole country to have free school meals.
We still teach and learn in our original building, with all it’s history. The school has been cared for by all of it’s head teachers, and it continues to go from strength to strength.
For any enquires about the school please contact our office.